Monday, October 15, 2007

KRL2.0 Oh Oh Oh

Up until last week, I lived my life at the tip of the tail of technological progress. I was not a technophobe, so much as I liked my simple life just fine the way it was, thank you very much. There were times, however, when disturbing little thoughts got me wondering if it might not be nice to know how to use some of the newer technologies to make my simple life even yet more simple.

In all of the assigned reading on the subject of KRL 2.0, Web2.0, Library2.0, etc., it became clear, in a murky sort of way, that users of libraries will determine the direction of change in the future. This is a scary thought when it seems that far too many adults of the future will have grown up reading (I use the term loosely) little more than comic books that aren't comical, and the hatcheted English of texting on their has-everything-but-the-kitchen-sink cell phones. I guess I must trust that these young people will change as they grow, as I did, from silly and self-centered to serious and self-reliant. (In truth, I am neither, but the alliteration works).

I like the concept of "43 Things". Making a list of goals and breaking them down into achievable, measurable steps, is a process everyone should incorporate into their lives. Self-determination seem a better way to grow than the "Life Happens" method. I'm still old-fashioned enough, however, that I will make my list with pencil and paper, to keep it handy lest I be caught with time on my hands in a power outage.


I will find a way to use this new technology for personal gain.

1 comment:

speirsie said...

i am impressed that you are the first to complete assignment, week 2. Quite the interesting history of yours! i like the way you say, "I WILL find a way to use this new technology..." smart to keep that pencil handy!