Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Book lists. Where to begin? And Why?

There are probably really good applications for LibraryThing, and I'm trying to keep a good attitude here, but I guess I'm just not social enough to care about what other people have in their personal libraries. Either that, or I'm missing the point entirely. I did complile a list on LibraryThing of some of my favorite children's classics in my personal library, but to be limited to 200 entries really put a damper on things. My quilt book library alone exceeds 200 volumes. Then there are the art books, the history books, the nature guides, the gardening books, devotional and inspirational collections, and of course, the children's classics. I could spend a very long time cataloging my entire home library, and for what? I know what's there if I want it, and I don't much care about editions or publishers. I missed the point of LibraryThing, didn't I?

1 comment:

Kim Doyle said...

I have a friend who for two years has been trying to talk me into putting my personal library on LT, and I'm still not interested. Because I know what my hundreds of books are, and I don't really care if anyone else does, or what other people have. (That said, I will browse people's shelves if I'm actually in their homes. I just don't like doing it online. Same thing with flickr vs. photo albums.)

But to my surprise, I had great fun putting the YP Dept's story shelf collection (about 1100 books) into LT. Because I can see how it would be useful to myself and others to find things by tag. But if I knew that collection as well as my own, I probably wouldn't have bothered.